Saturday, January 26, 2013

Days Long Past


It rains a lot.  That's why we attached a giant umbrella to the house.  And I have yet to attach my umbrella to my hat.  I am afraid that it will be too heavy for my head to hold up or that it will blow away.  And this way I can hold the umbrella over Henry every once in a while.  Henry is my friend.  He pulls the house.  Oh let me clarify, the house is on wheels, like a wagon.  And Henry pulls it.  Oh and get this Henry is a rhinoceros.  A rhinoceros!  I couldn't believe it when he came to us.  I'll admit, I was a bit afraid, seeing as he was taller than me, but he is really gentle.

Oh, forgive me.  I get sidetracked all of the time.  Where was I?  Oh yeah!  The Rain.  The wizard spends all of his time in the house since the Rain started.  I'm not quite sure what he does all day, but he doesn't like to be disturbed.  I have a very routine schedule of when I can bring meals to him and go in the house to sleep.  Any disturbance outside of the routine is strongly looked down upon.  When people find out about my situation (which seems to happen often because I'm so open) they ask if it bothers me or makes me angry.  I tell them no, because it doesn't. The wizard made me clothing that would withstand the weathering and sincerely apologized for the situation but said it had to be.  He is much different now than he was before.

Back before the Rain started, I remembered the wizard being a pleasant fellow.  Never harsh or rude to anyone that didn't understand him. But he was sad. Always sad. I'm not sure why he distanced himself so much from everyone once the Rain started.  Maybe someone hurt him...

The Rain? Oh! Well one day a witch from far off lands traveled here to the Kingdom of Ingary.  She was lovely and all who looked upon her wished for her to bless their lives with a spell.  She did what she could but nothing more.  She, like others, noticed our little house on wheels as we stopped in the town of The Folding Valley for supplies.  She was very intrigued and wanted to meet the wizard. This being before the Rains, he was more willing to talk to others and agreed to invite her in.  They talked for hours.  Then the witch left frustrated, saying she would never come to this town again and that it would be cursed.  Many people were upset and wanted to know what happened.  Not only had the demeanor of the witch changed toward the people but also that of the wizards.  He harshly told the people to leave him alone and that the curse was well deserved.  He then beckoned me to get the house moving along.  We left the town, never to return.

I hope one day we do return. It was such a lovely town with wild flowers everywhere and a river crisp and clean.  Now we only travel in The Waste.  Nothing out here.  But it is where Henry found us, stranded after Harold, our pony, couldn't keep going.  Such sad and hard times these are.  And it is my lot to pull this house at all times, except for night.  We used to stop more often but the wizard feels it is more important to keep moving.  Today we are headed to a small town on the outskirts of The Waste to stock up on supplies.  It's been almost two months, some how the wizard was able to make the food last that long. I am very excited to be going into town! Even if it isn't The Folding Valley or even Kingsbury! I hear that is the most beautiful city around.  It's where the king of Ingary lives.

"We are almost there Henry! Are you so excited?"
(Grunt)
"Of course you are!"

Out of the window the wizard said, "What's that? We are almost there?"
"Yes! About another half mile. "
"Ah, I see. Well...don't be too excited." The wizard said in his gruffly old voice.
He didn't mean it. That was actually his way of acknowledging my joy.  Even though he's not as cheerful as he used to be, he has shown me gratitude for my services to him through small acts and things he has said.

We made it! The Town on The Waste's Edge. That's actually what is was called. Not a lot here. The landscape was similar to that of The Waste.  The houses and the wall surrounding the town were made of wood. Very dull colors. But we get to see people! And in places like this you get to meet the most interesting sort of people!

First things first. I unhooked Henry from the house, leaving the house outside the walls.
Knock knock. "I'm going into town now and I'm taking Henry."
I heard the wizard reply, "Ok, be quick and don't talk to too many people."
"Alright!" And I was off with a smile.

After getting Henry under some cover to get dry, I was off to the markets. There weren't to many options but I was generous with the money the wizard gave me and the people really appreciated it.  While going from shop to shop, people were amazed at my waterproof clothes.  And more and more they were always amazed at what kind of creature I was. Oh! Did I not tell you! Silly me, I am an elf from the high mountain peaks of The Morning Sun mountain range.  I left my kin to go on an adventure and the wizard found me and ask for my assistance. And here I am.

I almost had everything I needed, when a saw an older fellow, maybe in his 70s, dressed in traveling clothes. Like I said, you always see interesting people here.  Before I had the change to meet him and ask what his story was he stopped me.
"Kind little fellow, are you the one that owns that house on wheels outside the walls." The older fellow said.
"Me? No! How silly! I am but a helper to the wizard who lives there."
"Wizard?"
"Oh you don't know! We have been gone for quite a long time. Yes a wizard lives in that house, and never leaves it.  He's about a decade or two older than you I'd say."
"Indeed. Why does he not leave the house?"
"That I am not sure.  I believe it has something to do with the Rain and when it started, but I could be wrong."
"No I do not think you are. Could you deliver something to the wizard for me with a message? I traveled all this way to see him, but since he will not leave his house I will ask for you assistance instead."
"Of course! What would you like me to deliver?"
The old man pulled out a bundle of leather and inside was a lone tulip of radiating beauty. I had never seen such a beautiful flower since the days in The Folding Valley.
"How beautiful! It reminds me of better days!"
"As it should, and the message is on this paper. Please guard it well. I believe it will be of help."
"Thank you kind sir. The wizard has not known a kind word for many years now."
"I know."
I was puzzled by this.  This man seems to know about the wizard when I thought he didn't.
Then the old man said, "Farewell little one, I am off to finally go back home."
"Good luck to you sir!"

While heading back I couldn't shake the thought of who this man was. I did have the note, which was not sealed and he did not say it was confidential.  I slipped the note out of my pocket and opened it. It read:

Although your heart may be lost, do not give up hope. She would not want you to.
~ Markl

Hm.  Who is she? And who is this older fellow?

I gathered the supplies, got Henry, and headed back to the house.  Once I returned I knocked on the door which was then opened.
I walked in and set everything on a small wooden table.
"I got all the supplies requested, sir." I began putting the supplies away in the few cupboards there were in the house.
"Good and how much did it cost?"
I reached in my pocket and held out my hand holding what currency was left over. I knew it wasn't as much as he was hoping.
He looked at it, and then took the money to keep in his money bag.
"Oh Grunthar, you have a good heart."
A wide smile crossed my face. "Thank you sir! Oh that reminds me! I meant a peculiar fellow who asked me to pass a message along to you along with this. I pulled out the tulip.  The wizards blue eyes widened, and if I am not wrong I believe I saw them water up as well. But I looked away quickly.
"And here is his note."
The wizard took the note and read it. Tears fell to the page and a wide smile ran across the wizards face.
"Oh dear Markl, I knew there was a reason you came to me so many years ago. And this is why." The wizard spoke out load.
"Sir who is Markl? If you don't mind me asking?" This was a risky question indeed, but I do feel it is needed.
A countenance of the wizard before the Rains appeared and the wizard smiled and said, "He was my first apprentice during a time much happier but not easier than these days.  You remind me of him.  He was there when I met her. We were a family."
"Sir, and who is 'she'?"
The wizard looked at me and said, "Through years of hiding my heart away for childish fancy, she was the one who found it and gave it back to me. And ever since then it always belonged to her."
After a few minutes of silence, to my surprise the wizard stood up with much energy and said, "Grunthar! this is it! This present has given me hope. Our next journey on this mission will be our last! And then it will be over."
"Our last? Nothing terrible is going to happen is it?" Fear ran through my spin.
"No, but we will bring the awful rain to an end and everything will finally be at peace."
I smiled. I believe him.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry for the length! I just got really into it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and just for fun!
      This is the song I listened to while writing.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gT6AnrDwew&list=PL6922D3A6FDF8C6BD&index=21

      Delete
  2. Fun! I am excited for part 2! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Part 2 huh? I better get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, oh man! I loved it! Aside from Jason, if he ever checks this thing, I might be the only one who recognizes the background story. Hahah, I love it but it makes me really sad. She better not have died. I'm all for tragic deaths and such but I wouldn't be prepared for this one. I really like how you developed the character through first person narrative. It's something I'm not overly proficient with. Good on you. I also loved how you pretty much transformed that world into something completely different, it's very unexpected. Kudos on the name choice, Grunther, it really fit the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayayayay! I was sooo excited for you to read it! I'm so glad you like it! :D
    I could tell you what happened to Sophie, but you might not like it. :(
    Yay! Marette likes it! :D Thanks for reading it!

    ReplyDelete